Monday, June 3, 2013

week 18 winners

From Shell - my sincerest apologies for the lateness of the results, I was away for uni until just now.


Here are @sparrownotes24's answers to the judgey questions:




1. What is the best piece of writing advice you’ve been given?

The most invaluable advice I’ve received is to write for yourself. It’s harder said than done, especially when posting chapters up front, but at the end of the day, writing is something you should love and that makes you happy.


2. The first and last books you fell in love with?

The first book I remember falling in love with was The Velveteen Rabbit. I still have the copy from when I was little, dog-eared and falling apart, on my bookshelf. The last book I fell in love with was Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley. It’s a young adult novel, but it’s so different to a lot of others out there at the moment. It has laugh out loud dialogue and such beautiful and poetic imagery you get totally immersed in the story of Lucy and Shadow.


3. What are you listening to right now?

An upcoming English band called Dry The River. I’ve had their debut album, Shallow Bed, on a non-stop shuffle for the past few months.


4. There's a rubber stamp mark on your hand. What does it say?

May Contain Nuts (I should specify this excludes parts pertaining to the male species)


5. Suppose you could travel to any place in time and history. When and where are you going?

18th Century Japan during the time of geisha, tea houses and cherry blossom viewings.  Their culture and history is fascinating as it’s such a contrast to my own.









I have to say, I was totally blown away by every single one of these entries. The variations of emotions I experienced reading all the ideas, from one little prompt, were incredible. Each one was so unique, it’s been so hard to choose a winner, but there were a few I kept coming back to so… without further ado…



First Place

@lellabeth This was absolutely breath-taking, and you brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to reach into your story to grab hold of her and pull her head above the water. What a truly awful existence she must have had to choose death as her peace. I swayed between being heartbroken for her and relieved that she’d finally gotten away, I only wish that she’d had other choices. The writing of her escape was so beautiful. You made the tragedy of someone taking their own life feel weightless and peaceful—she could finally take a breath. Your final sentence had such an impact as if a fist had knocked the air out of me. This was the one I couldn’t stop thinking about all day, so it had to be my winner.


Second Place

@ordinary_vamp. I was dragged into your beautiful words that started light, like the crystal sea, and ended as shadowy as the murky depths. You shattered the relief of being saved and given air with the final ominous words “Hello, pet.” That last line had so many possible connotations, but for me, it was the start of a dark fairy-tale so vivid, I could see it unfolding in front of me. You’ve left me desperate for more of your green-haired mermaid and her new pet.


Third Place

@CrackedFic. At first I thought this story was about the sadness of losing family and friends through your life as you aged, so it was an excellent twist when you revealed what the ‘lights’ actually were and the unknowns they brought to your story. I’m still wondering what happened to all those who followed them.  Very unique and beautifully written.




I left you a little note for each once because they were all perfect in their own individual way.

@moolit__girl. I love the idea of these two seeking solace at the same place and the way you contrasted her personality in such a short amount of words. I found myself wondering what happened next? Did she see him? Did they share their love of the lake?

Sherbet20111 He fooled me too until the last two sentences! Very clever.

@AnnaLund2011 The innocence of her thoughts as she sank into the pool was so heart-breaking. It had a much bigger impact than if she’d been panicking. Beautifully written and so sad

@bkhchica. I would have been incoherent too! Perfect little snippet of young love.

@SerendipitousMC. Such beautiful and vivid description it made me desperate to jump in a pool myself.

Stephanie Barrick. This made me smile, and I had butterflies when he told her to “Breathe, sweet girl.” How amazing and powerful first loves can be to those involved.

@Twilightladies1. So many emotions in so few words. I’m intrigued as to what happened before this glimpse and what’s going to happen next.

@bigblueboat. A story full of hope and determination. I have such admiration for people who can stay positive and push forward despite living through such life changing events. Wonderful.

@megan_timms.  I actually gasped at the end of this one! I wasn’t expecting that to happen. Did he save her? Was it a bad accident? I have lots of questions! Brilliant.

PinkCookie. Loved your cheeky Smirky McSmirk. At least she got a hot kiss out of her humiliation!

@CallMePagliacci. I adored this analogy. Such a clever twist on the prompt and so true to the challenges and the exhilaration you experience when writing.

MizzFictionista. Oh how this one made my heart clench. A beautiful and hopeful story of a little family carrying on under the saddest circumstances.

@ordinary_vamp. Perfect glimpse of the mysteries of a ship wreck. Fascinating and hauntingly beautiful.

@boomboom_jones. Loved your unique take on the prompt. I imagined I was stood in a Victorian circus and was sucked into the excitement of seeing the show unfold. Was it magic or illusions? I’m still intrigued.

@femme_mal. Such a mystical piece. I loved the solitude you described at the beginning and when he took her hand, I felt like it was a rescue. Beautiful.



...


CONGRATULATIONS @lellabeth!

Thank you to @sparrownotes24 for judging, and to everyone who participated.

See you all next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment