Friday, May 17, 2013

week 16 winners

Thank you to this week's judge, @Alesoflyy!


1. What is the best piece of writing advice you’ve been given? 
To be a good writer you must do two things: write every day and read anything you can get your hands on.


2. The first and last books you fell in love with? 
First: To Kill a Mockingbird. Last: Divergent, I believe. It's been awhile since I've read a real book.


3. What's happening outside the nearest window?
From where I sit, not much of anything. Though, I'm sure if I listened or ventured close enough the bedtime critters could be heard.


4. There's a rubber stamp mark on your hand. What does it say?
Pending nothing, anything, and everything


5. Suppose you could travel to any place in time and history. When and where are you going?
It wouldn't be a specific time or place, nor would it be in world's history--just mine; a past life so to speak. I'd want to go to a happier time, one where the sun shines brightly and the moment is endeared. A time where bedtime is my enemy and time together is endless. Yeah, somewhere like that.





I am so not made for judging. I read and reread each entry a number of times, finding it difficult to pick one as a winner when such perfect words were written. I wish I could award every entry first place for they all deserve the recognition, but alas, that is not how it works.


Winner: @SerendipitousMC

The last line is what did me in and had me craving more, to learn what happened after, though it’s perfect and complete as it is. So lovely.

She noticed him noticing her along the midway. He appeared, disappeared, then came back again, like a mirage. Every time he caught her eye, his sweet smile pressed on her heart. Every time she saw him, he drew closer.

She’d come to the fair with two friends, the three of them linking arms as they strolled past fortune tellers and games with stuffed animals for prizes. Rounding past the carousel, he was suddenly there in front of her.

He grabbed her hand. “Come with me.”

She pulled away. “I don’t know you.”

“It’s okay,” he insisted. He tugged her toward a field. “I won’t hurt you. It’ll be fun.”

She took in his pork pie hat, his baggy trousers, and the unbuttoned black vest that all looked so old. “Do you work here?”

“Nah. I just like the music.” A nearby saloon played 1920s songs. “And I like you.”

She trusted him, innocent as he seemed. Under a sky crossed with bright stars, he twirled her around. Her dress billowed like cotton wings.

“Come with me,” he whispered.

She laughed. “What? I already did.”

“No. Come with me for always.” He spun faster, until the sky blurred...until they were gone.




Honorable Mention: @CrackedFic

Beautifully poetic. Makes me goofy grin every time I read it.


It's a dream
this dance we dance.

It's a dance
the dream we dream.

I am atop a mountain
holding you and letting you go
and watching you twirl.

And you twirl.

"Marry me."

"But I can't."
You smile so big.

"You must."

"But I must
not."

"The stars demand it."

"The stars don't
demand.
The stars exist."

"Destiny wants it."

"Destiny wants
nothing.
Destiny demands."

You're right.
Destiny is inescapable.

And that is right.
You embrace it.

And you twirl
and I watch you twirl
and I reach for you
as you twirl
but the twirling
never stops
and I know
I don't want the twirling to stop
even though you'll twirl away.

"The stars," you say
out of breath though you are.

The sky calls you
and you answer and you look up and you gaze.

At the stars you gaze as you twirl.

"Yes," I say
and I look upon them and I see
it there.

Our destiny. Mine. Yours. And I know your answer already.

You smile
so big you smile.

And so I watch you twirl.
I will watch and I will
wait
while forever you twirl.




Honorable Mention: @femme_mal

Impeccably sweet and so delightfully written.


Perseids, he said, meteors will wash the sky tonight.

Mosquitoes, she said, you know I'll get bit up.

Lakeside, he said, the campfire's smoke will chase them away.

Fireflies, she said, won't like the smoke either.

Trust me, he said, it'll be fine, better than fine.

We'll see, she said, I've been burned before.

It was everything he claimed, she said, when her friends asked.

More beautiful than stars, he said, were her eyes last night.

A star fell on the lake, she said, we made a wish together.

Look at the star now, he said, holding out her diamond ringed hand




Honorable Mention:  @TiramiSue84

Pretty words are pretty. I could practically feel her wanther need to have him.


I don't want much, just you.

I want us—together. Always. And out in the open so everyone can see.

I want us at the beach, strolling barefoot along the shore or just laying down and soaking up the sun.

I want us outside, laughing and kissing. My hand in yours and your arms around me.

I want us under the night sky, free and limitless and strong, dancing or counting stars.

I want your hands under my shirt and your lips all over me. I want your sighs in my mouth and your shudders when I nip and bite right there.

I want your teasing fingers and the sweetness of your breath. I want your gentle and your crazy, your slow and your wild.

I want your eyes on me when I reach that blissful peak, and my name on your lips as you follow.

I want you to need me, crave me as much as I do you. I want your heart and your soul, for you have mine.

I want it all with you, everything—your good and bad. Forever.

I want you to love me as much and deep as I love you.



...



Congratulations to this week's winner, @SerendipitousMC!

Thanks to @Alesoflyy for judging, and to everyone who participated.


See you all next week!

1 comment: